Monday, June 8, 2009

Worn out

In case you couldn't tell from the photo, my little Lorelei was worn out after her first day at the CDC. Although she was only there for 5 hours, she ate and slept half the amount she normally does at home. Ms. Aricka said she had some "sad moments" thanks to some crazy crying babies in her room, but that she enjoyed watching the hanging mobile and seeing herself in the mirror. I wonder if I should be concerned that Lorelei is soothed by starring at herself in the mirror? Hopefully these shorter days at day care this week will be less traumatic than the 9 hour days she is going to have soon. They are at least less traumatic for me, although not for my feet. After 3 months hanging out in my lovely rainbows, my feet have forgotton what it's like to where heels. Tomorrow I will go to work with my feet covered in band-aids. Kelsea is so jealous (and perplexed as to why I don't want to wear princesses on my feet).

Don't worry Lorelei, you will grow to love Ms. Aricka as much as your sister did. But I will miss listening to you discover your voice, and that look of pure joy on your face when blowing spit bubbles. I will especially miss hearing all those loud toots as you start to wake up from your nap, and that big goofy grin when you realize that I'm right there watching you. I will miss being able to kiss you and hug you and hold you whenever I want. I will miss the quiet moments of just us. I will miss the walks along the beach and the baby & me yoga classes. I will miss being able to take photos of you whenever I want. I didn't want to be sad about going back to work, but I am. I know you will be well taken care of, but I wish it was in my arms and not theirs. It is days like these that I realize we can't have it all.

3 comments:

Megan said...

She still is adorable even when she's tired. I hope the trasition back to full time works well. Miss you.

Cathy Bolander said...

That was so sweet, so sad & exactly how I feel. I'm glad to have you back though.

J.J. Killins said...

sigh. life, huh? (((hugs)))