Thursday, September 17, 2009

A few thoughts about my Mom

My Mom is officially retired--woohoo!   Her ceremony and party were this evening.  I am thankful that I got to say a few things and reflect on my Mom's career:

Becoming a new mother has made me realize how difficult it is to strike that perfect balance between family and career.   The idea that women can have it all seems very illusive, yet if anyone ever came close in this world to having it all, it would certainly be my Mom.

Growing up I always felt we came first.  Whether it was ballet, swimming, basketball, track, softball or soccer, my Mom always found the time to take me to practice and cheer me on at every single event or game.   I am still amazed that she never missed a single one.   For many years my Mom was both my soccer and softball coach.  She spent her summers off from teaching, carpooling me all across Southern California to participate in soccer and softball tournaments.  I was always very appreciative of her involvement in my sports and activities, but I didn’t realize at the time how much of a sacrifice it really was.   So I thank you Mom, for all your time and dedication to coaching me and cheering me on from the sidelines.

During all this, my Mom somehow found the time to earn her Masters Degree from Dominguez Hills and later her Doctorate from USC.  I was very proud of my Mom when she became Dr. Love, but at the time I didn’t realize the magnitude of her accomplishment.  It took her 5 years from start to finish.  I still am unsure to this day how she found the time to work, go to school, and raise my brother and I.  My only conclusion is that she must not have slept.  When I come home from work exhausted and unmotivated I often wonder how she made everything seem so easy.  How did she have time to write a dissertation, participate in all our school and extracurricular activities and still cook us dinner every night?

My Mom was also always there to help with homework and school projects, like the California mission we built from Styrofoam blocks and coffee died Ivory soap.   I will certainly be enlisting your help when Kelsea and Lorelei come home with school projects!  Whether it was homework, a test, or a game my Mom would often tell us just to do our best.  It was her gentle encouragement that helped me succeed both in and out of school.

My Mom was instrumental in the lengthy application and interview process to the Academy.  If it had not been for her, I would not have been blessed with an education from one of the best schools in the country.  Although at the time, I certainly was not feeling blessed to BE at the Academy.  It was her encouragement and support that helped me survive four years as a cadet.

My Mom has taught me the value of education and hard work, but more notably she has taught me the importance of building sand castles, kicking a soccer ball, and baking cupcakes with my girls.

It is my Mom that motivates me to do better every day and to strive for my best.  She will always be my role model and my inspiration.  I am extremely grateful that I was born to this woman who has taught me such a great deal. 

So, thank you Mom for showing me how to gracefully strike a balance between career and motherhood.   Thank you for always being there for me.  Thank you for being my coach, my friend, and always my Mom.

I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished.    

Congratulations on entering the next phase of your life…you know the one where the grandkids sleep over on the weekends. :-)

5 comments:

Megan said...

That is a lovely tribute to your mom. I hope she enjoys retirement and spending time with the grandkids more! Mazie read this and said that now she will have more time for her pretty garden and to buy cool shoes.

Cathy Bolander said...

I know I read your letter at work but just wanted to wish your mom a happy retirement. I know you feel lucky to have her in your life still & it makes me happy to see people appreciate their mamas.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful celebration of your mom's career! I really don't know how she did it all!!

J.J. Killins said...

This is SO sweet. Congrats on such a long and lovely career:) I was in TSD for less than a school year but in that time could feel what an impact she had on everyone around her.

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful letter. I hope your mom enjoys her retirement and spending time with her grandchildren.